Board members read this...

The Board Members read this Newsletter. Let them know how you feel about the things they are doing by checking the appropriate response: Do You Approve? Yes!! ( ) Undecided ( ) No!! ( )

10/24/2014

Board Candidate ~ Mary Gage

Diane

I want to thank you for reporting the meetings and events of DH. It is your tireless time that you give to all of the residents that ensures we stay in the loop of events. I know that you tape record everyone of them. I also know that you are extremely fair and publish the facts (backed up by a taping) and have proven we can trust information that we read from you. Unfortunately, the Board has given every reason for us to distrust what they do and what they say, (be thankful you record it) so continue with your reports and your opinions of what you see and hear.  We trust what you report to us. Thank you for all the time you give to keep us all up to date. Talk about a thankless job!

In regards to the potential dues increase or assessment, I would like to start with a definition:

ame·ni·ty

 noun \ə-ˈme-nə-tē, -ˈmē-\
: something that makes life easier or more pleasant

You will not find the word "FREE"  related to the word amenity.  I for one will not pay for a restaurant to lose 50 cents, much less $30,000 plus or for people to play golf with an average of $17.00 a round. Security is NOT an amenity.  It is a part of the "gated community" the developer set up along with the gates and fences.
Gated communities preclude public access to roads, sidewalks, parks, open space, and playgrounds. While DH has a golf course, swimming pool, & playground, we could also have a movie theater, spa, and many other amenities.  But, once again - those amenities are not free. Now most folks in DH have worked/retired from large companies so have traveled and understand the definition of amenities. I knew when I went to California twice for Farmers, the amenity called Ruth Christ's Steak House didn't mean I ate for free or even at a reduced rate.  It simply meant it was within a reasonable distance. 

A dues increase to property owners to pay for things that do not benefit the entire community can and will result in serious problems.

When you purchase property anywhere, there are disclosures that must be made to the buyer.  When the property is in a gated community, there are things called a Bill of Assurance and Bylaws. Changing either one of these documents "improperly" can result in serious problems. For example: in the Bill of Assurance, the developer laid out in the beginning, # 11 COVENANTS RUNNING WITH THE LAND, DURATION OF RESTRICTIONS - clearly states: Such changes can only be accomplished by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the lot owners in the Diamondhead subdivision. That makes sense to me, because if the developer could change things AFTER we purchase, then you have to ask, what's the point? Also bear in mind it does not say ‘in good standing’, it states "owners".  Personally, I would like to see the For Sale signs removed per the Bill of Assurance I was given when I bought my property. I do not like the signs, it de-values our property.
I heard at last night’s Town Meeting, the Board President stated loudly and clearly, "We must follow the Bill of Assurance" correct?  
Thank you for all you do!!


Mary Gage

Blog Archive