Board members read this...

The Board Members read this Newsletter. Let them know how you feel about the things they are doing by checking the appropriate response: Do You Approve? Yes!! ( ) Undecided ( ) No!! ( )

4/04/2013

LHFD ~ Fire Chief Matt Simpson

A Fireman’s Prayer


Yesterday, April 8, 2013, I was humbled by the experience of attending the celebration of the life of Matt Simpson. 

I didn't know Matt well.  But from my experience of working on a community project with him, I found him to be a very dedicated person to family, friends and to the security of the community where he lived.  His desire for self improvement was exhibited by the number and variety of the certifications and awards he received.

I have had occasion to attend and participate in military farewells to friends, comrades and family.  But this was impressive - and an indication of his influence throughout the state and beyond. 

Several hundred people, mostly fire fighters and law enforcement personnel from all over the state, were present.  The honor guard and a drum and bagpipe corp. gave a very impressive indication of the high status these people held for Matt.

When I was young, my mother told me that when a good person passes on, it will rain - and that is the angels crying.  It took me some years to understand what she was telling me. We, those left behind, cry because of our loss. The angels cry with happiness - for they are welcoming one of theirs home.  It is raining in Diamondhead.

Jerry McAnear Sr.

Blog Archive