I, Diane Porterfield, was not able to attend Candidates Night. So, it is my hope that others will submit
their views regarding the various issues discussed and appropriate response
from each candidate. The following
information has been received in this manner:
1. Mary Pracht 2. Jerry McAnear
1. Mary Pracht 2. Jerry McAnear
Candidate Mary Pracht:
My name is Mary Pracht and my husband, Gary, and I have
lived in Diamondhead for shortly over six years. I was on your Board of Directors for three
years, serving as your secretary for two of those years.
At the end
of my three years, I was so disillusioned with the working of the board and how
Diamondhead was progressing, or more importantly – not progressing, I chose not
to run again, but I now feel I can’t just sit back and do nothing. Our financial situation must improve and our
spending needs to be cut down.
While on
the DH board, I was liaison to both the social and beautification
committees. I attended their meetings
and made sure the board was aware of their needs and assisted in whatever I
could to make sure both important committees were represented properly. I attended as many finance committee meetings
as I could in order to be knowledgeable in the financial status of Diamondhead.
For the
past two years, I have been a member of the finance committee, serving as its
secretary.
I feel my
qualifications for being on the Board include my past work experiences in the
legal field, my loyalty, and strict ethical dedication to the residents and
other board members, and in particular, wanting the best for ALL residents of
Diamondhead, not just special interest groups or individuals.
I know the
workings of Diamondhead and sincerely feel that much more can be, and must be,
accomplished. Rather than just sit back
and see what happens, I want to try to help us grow and prosper in the coming
years.
I strongly
believe that before dues are increased, we must get spending in all
departments under control and management held accountable in all
departments. My only desire is to see
Diamondhead prosper, grow, and remain a great place to live, have fun, and
raise a family.
I would
appreciate your support and vote.
Mary
Pracht
Candidate Jerry McAnear
Items
for Diamondhead Improvement
Some of the issues that need to be addressed are:
We need to search for possible ways to reduce fees in Diamondhead, not only to home owners (residents) but property (lot) owners, as well. We need to look out side the box, come up with new ideas, think of new ways to operate and then make them work. Don’t run to the property owners with your hands out saying, “look at what we are doing - so give us more money“. The board should be saying, “look at what we are doing - so your fees are lower”.
We need to expand items on our budget in order to get control of expenditures, right down to the cost of paper and paper clips, for each department and insist we live with in the approved budget, not run off ridiculously and spend, spend, spend without thought nor researching how it will effect the overall community and expenditure performance, as has been done in the past. It needs to stop now. We need to know where our money is going and why.
We need to look at ways for the community amenities to be self supporting. Just to say it is not possible and then increase fees to cover additional expenses is not the way go. Again, we need board members who think out side the box. When ideas and suggestions are submitted by committees and property owners, we need board members who will look at the positive aspects for the community without the goal of self interest.
We need full time board members. Not those who attend meetings three days a month and then pat them selves on the back and say what a good job we are doing. They sound like the old Little Jack Horner nursery story.
We need board officers who will accept responsibility for assigned projects and follow through to make sure the projects are completed successfully. Too many projects are approved by the board but never completed and, in some instances, not even started due to lack of follow through by the board.
We need to develop a set policy and procedure program that spells out how and when activities are to be preformed and then insist on adherence to that policy.
There are areas that are in need of development and activation, not just given a verbal “OK” and then forgotten.
With the exception of certain personnel issues, I believe in near total transparency in community activities; including complete police incident reports. We do not live in MayberryUSA . We live in a community that
experiences fewer speeders, break ins, and other security problems than other
communities. The attempt to squelch and hide the police activities report is a
terrible idea and we should insist this information be available to residents in
an effort to reduce the intensity of these violations. Our community is with in
the boundary of two counties. One that, arguably, has had the largest drug
trafficking problem in the state and the other with an area that has the worst
major crime rate for cities the same size in the United States .
We should be proud of the job our police department does and publish it to let
people know we live in a safe community.
We do not need a board that insists that board members express only positive comments. We need to face reality with a board that creates a positive community atmosphere where people are publicly proud to live.
If elected, I promise you this: 1) I will object to any item under consideration at a board meeting that has not been fully vetted at an agenda meeting and a community meeting in order that community members may express their concerns on the issues. 2) We get a communication net work for the community that works.
Some of the issues that need to be addressed are:
We need to search for possible ways to reduce fees in Diamondhead, not only to home owners (residents) but property (lot) owners, as well. We need to look out side the box, come up with new ideas, think of new ways to operate and then make them work. Don’t run to the property owners with your hands out saying, “look at what we are doing - so give us more money“. The board should be saying, “look at what we are doing - so your fees are lower”.
We need to expand items on our budget in order to get control of expenditures, right down to the cost of paper and paper clips, for each department and insist we live with in the approved budget, not run off ridiculously and spend, spend, spend without thought nor researching how it will effect the overall community and expenditure performance, as has been done in the past. It needs to stop now. We need to know where our money is going and why.
We need to look at ways for the community amenities to be self supporting. Just to say it is not possible and then increase fees to cover additional expenses is not the way go. Again, we need board members who think out side the box. When ideas and suggestions are submitted by committees and property owners, we need board members who will look at the positive aspects for the community without the goal of self interest.
We need full time board members. Not those who attend meetings three days a month and then pat them selves on the back and say what a good job we are doing. They sound like the old Little Jack Horner nursery story.
We need board officers who will accept responsibility for assigned projects and follow through to make sure the projects are completed successfully. Too many projects are approved by the board but never completed and, in some instances, not even started due to lack of follow through by the board.
We need to develop a set policy and procedure program that spells out how and when activities are to be preformed and then insist on adherence to that policy.
There are areas that are in need of development and activation, not just given a verbal “OK” and then forgotten.
With the exception of certain personnel issues, I believe in near total transparency in community activities; including complete police incident reports. We do not live in Mayberry
We do not need a board that insists that board members express only positive comments. We need to face reality with a board that creates a positive community atmosphere where people are publicly proud to live.
If elected, I promise you this: 1) I will object to any item under consideration at a board meeting that has not been fully vetted at an agenda meeting and a community meeting in order that community members may express their concerns on the issues. 2) We get a communication net work for the community that works.
Jerry
McAnear