Board members read this...

The Board Members read this Newsletter. Let them know how you feel about the things they are doing by checking the appropriate response: Do You Approve? Yes!! ( ) Undecided ( ) No!! ( )

6/27/2013

Events of June 3rd, 2013

Who do you believe?  The Following email messages from Diane Porterfield & General Manager Buddy Hudson were shared during last night's Special Board meeting:



From: Diane Porterfield [mailto:adianerdh@att.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 1:47 PM
To: 'Diane Jones'; 'Diane Porterfield'; 'Faye Taylor'; 'Jack Watson'; 'Joe Claflin'; 'John Porter'; 'Rick Noffsinger'; 'Suzzi Combs'; 'Tom Moore'
Subject: FW: My Apology

To Board members only:
As stated in ‘my apology’ message, I admire Suzzi’s dedication and desire to serve Diamondhead.  If I was in her position, you would need to be a very strong Board to make sure I did not over step my boundaries.  Suzzi and I disagree on issues, but that is exactly how a Board of Directors is supposed to function.  If we all agreed on everything, there would only be need of one Board member.  In the past, when any member of the Board has had a ‘question’ regarding my efforts on The Blog, or things like cleaning up the Store Room with Diane Jones, Faye, & Suzzi…You brought this to my attention during an executive session of the Board.  This was proper at the time, because it was a “Board” subject to discuss.  Not a “private” issue.  I brought up the “micromanaging” issue because it is a Board issue à not a ‘private’ matter to be discussed only between Suzzi and myself.  I would like it to be known that I will never again bring up an issue for someone else.  This is what happened to me at last Monday night’s closed session.  If the GM or any member of the Board has an issue they would like to discuss, the GM or that board member will initiate the topic.  Not me.  I also, do not plan to debate this issue any longer.  However, if called upon to do so, I will present AT & T phone records to prove who called who, and on which days this occurred.
 Declaration: I was stupid for allowing myself to be set up.

Diane Porterfield


From: Diane Porterfield [mailto:adianerdh@att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 6:46 AM
To: 'Suzzi Combs'
Cc: 'John Porter'; 'Jack 'John' Watson'; 'Diane Jones'; 'Faye Taylor'; 'Joe Claflin'; 'Tom Moore'; 'Rick Noffsinger'
Subject: My Apology

Good morning Suzzi,

I called and left you a message on your cell last night stating that I would like to apologize to you.
Here is the reason why:
·         If I were in your ‘shoes’ as president of the Board, I would be doing everything I saw that needed to be done…just as you seem to be doing.
·         I received a phone call from Buddy a few days ago telling me that you were taking over his job.
·         At 6:15 last evening I had just gotten of the phone with Buddy where, in his words, he “vented” about you and Rick going over his head and talking to his employees.
·         I told him that I would bring up this subject at the Special Board meeting that was scheduled at 7:pm à 45 minutes later.  I asked him, “What will you say?”  Buddy told me he would tell the Board “everything I just told you”.
·         I want to thank Diane Jones for asking Buddy for his response.
·         Buddy’s answer to Diane:  “No, I do not feel micromanaged.”  And went on to describe Rick’s ‘micromanaging’….but nothing about you.
·         Then Buddy got up and walked out leaving me to be disgraced.

Please accept my apology; I have learned a valuable lesson about trust.
Diane Porterfield
________________

GM Buddy Hudson's email response:
6/4/13
Board Members,

I am responding to Ricks Noffsinger’s text to me today in regards to my comment last night and Diane Porterfield’s comments to you guys. 

# 1.  I have never called Diane “anytime” to vent.  If I was going to SPECIFICALLY CALL someone to vent it
        would not be to Diane
        I have never called Diane to discuss anyone micro managing me,  YOU ! Diane, called me yesterday before the
        meeting and ask me “Buddy do you feel like you’re being micro managed” Now why would you call
        me out of the blue and ask me that ? I told you, like I told the board,  Yes sometimes I feel like the
        Board members are stepping back in to try and manage.  YOU !  ask me if Suzzi Combs was trying to
        Do my job.  I should have known right then that you had an agenda on your mind.  (Its sucks that
        some of you board members can’t just be honest and ask what you want instead of trying to
        manipulate.   You said that you were going to bring this up at the board meeting,  I said fine.
        I don’t care what you bring up at the board meeting !   When I realized what you were doing
        to Suzzi  with those questions last night, I realized your only reason for calling me was to try
         and have something negative on her.  What a shame, of course I’m not going to jump on your
        negative band wagon. 
        And I understand that you (Diane) sent an email out today apologizing to Suzzi.   How lame !  You
        wanted to make Suzzi look bad, (for some reason) and that didn’t work, so you send out an apology.
        Straighten that crap up.  Just focus on being a good board member.
        

#2.   In response to Rick Noffsingers text to me today.  Rick, I did not throw you under the bus at the
        board meeting last night.  I did use one of your actions as an example of how the board members
        just can’t stay out of the management.  I said,  “for example, Rick Noffsinger shouldn’t have
        called Chief Tyner and asked him to go write a ticket to Mary Gage for driving their 18 wheeler into
        Diamondhead”   I have the situation under control, I don’t need the board members doing these 
        things.
        I guess some of the board members used that to attack you as well.  I’m sorry for that.   It seems as if
         members will go to any lengths to put down another.  Rick, I don’t feel like you’re trying to micro
        manage me.  If I did, you know I would respectfully talk to you about it. I’m sorry that It came across
        that way.
         I could have easily used another situation as an example of Board members needing to stay out of
        Day to day operations of Diamondhead.
 
        For instance:   Suzzi, doesn’t need to try and figure out what’s going on in the Golf Shop,  I’ve got it,
         I’m in the process of setting up new standards and procedures for that department. 
         Diane brought up the Golf Cart contracts; I was in negotiations with the vendors when Suzzi wanted to
         take that over,  I could have called that micro managing, instead, I just embraced her help.
         Suzzi,  when you visited the Police department a couple of days ago and said something to the effect
         Of, “there’s no work going on down here?”,  the employees took that as you getting on to them for
         not being busy at that time, and heaven knows they’ve been busy. 


I appreciate the support, but we don’t need more than one GM.  I can handle the job.
When I took the position, (and I asked for it) I had such a great attitude about the community, the board and just trying to do great things for Diamondhead.  I have to admit, it’s hard to keep that upbeat attitude with all the negative comments and manipulating that goes on.  The unfortunate thing is that a lot of it starts with board members.   I’m really trying to keep a good attitude, implement what we have put into place and keep our employees motivated to do a good job. 

I will admit, I have had second thoughts as to why I’m doing this and how long I’m going to deal with the issues.  I, the managers, employees and the people of Diamondhead, need the board to be on the same page and work together.  If the board would put as much energy into pulling in the same direction for the good of the Diamondhead  instead of trying to hurt each other or trying to find someone doing  wrong,   Diamondhead would be reach its goals much faster.

As General Manager, I need the board to back me, believe in my leadership and let me do my job.  I can handle running the day to day operations of Diamondhead.  We have good managers in place in every department, let them do their jobs; they want to do a good job. 

As far as the transitions that are at hand right now,  I am working everyday with people to try and take care of problems as they arise.  We are slowly educating people that the board put these policies and procedures into place to better Diamondhead and “everyone” is going to follow the direction of the board.

Please, try and put these problems behind us, Please try and find the good in every person serving on the board.  Please don’t condemn other members.  Just be a good board member and look for the good you can do for your community.  Each of you is in a position to do good things.  Realize that and you can make a difference.

As far me and my position, I will continue to do my best for Diamondhead while in the position of G M.   I don’t read the blog, I don’t get on I neighbors,  I focus on Diamondhead.  My travels haven’t hindered me in doing my job and I still want to see good things come from the leaders of this community. 

I will come to the board at some time in the near future and request that the board to consider an employment contract with me as we started to do when I was first employed.  This employment contract will give me the assurance that I can continue to manage Diamondhead without the (day to day) assistance of the board.
It will also assure that, as board members change, my leadership position will remain the same for the duration of my service as General Manager. 

Thank you for your attention as I have tried to clear up any confusion,

Buddy Hudson
GM Diamondhead



Blog Archive